Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xovvo
    • Sep 2024

VM unable to communicate with machines through host's VPN connection

I have a Windows virtual machine connected to a routed virtual network (sub net 192.168.100.0/24) routed through the Linux host which is connected through an OpenVPN client to a Linux Access Server VM hosted on a Windows file server. (see attached image)

Click image for larger version  Name:	networksetup.png Views:	0 Size:	1.4 KB ID:	402

What I would like is for the Windows VM to be able to access files stored on the Windows file server on the other side of the VPN connection.
    The Linux host is able to ping the file server and even RDP into it, so the VPN connection seems to be working correctly. I've set static routes on the Linux Host to the Windows VM's subnet, and they are able to ping each other and pass data between each other. I also set a static route for the VPN tunnel (subnet, since the IP address changes each time), and the IP of the file server:
    Code:
    route add 172.27.224.0 mask 255.255.255.128 192.168.100.1
    route add 192.168.0.131 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.1
    Unfortunately, this seems to have been insufficient. I did try setting the gateway for the route to the file server to be 172.27.224.1, but there was no change. The Windows VM is unable to ping the Windows file server, where as the Linux Host has no issue pinging the Windows file server.

I'm at a bit of a loss, because with the Access Server operating in NAT mode, none of the hosts on the server side of the connection should need to know anything about about how to get to anything on the client side, and I had thought the Access Server didn't either, since the Linux Host's routing tables can route any return packets to the correct place, but now I'm not sure.

It also just occurred to me as I'm typing this that I'm not sure if I need to do anything to ensure vibr1 (the interface fore the virtual network) sends traffic to the tun0 interface, or if the IP routing is enough, but I haven't found much about that.

In any case, I know I have to be missing something simple, but I can't see what it is---what else is required to get this VM on a virtual network to communicate with other devices over the host's VPN connection?
    Last edited by Xovvo; 2024-09-17, 04:15 PM. Reason: added tags
Working...
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍
👎