Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lbaradat
    • Apr 2024

Where are user settings saved? Need to change a default setting

I'm updating our computer image; we're using OpenVPN 2.5.5-I602 on Windows 10 machines. By default, OpenVPN opens automatically whenever someone logs onto a freshly imaged computer. This is fine for staff who work outside the office, because we put their VPN tokens on the computer, but for office-only staff, it pops up a warning complaining that there are no tokens available...until we uncheck the box for Launch on User Logon in Settings. I would like to have it default to NOT Launch on User Logon; offsite staff can open the application easily enough, and select the Launch on Logon option if they like.

I've tried setting the option under the account that's copied to the Default account during sysprep, but like so many other things, sysprep strips it out. I've tried to find this setting in the Registry and in the user profile, but can't seem to locate it. Can anyone tell me where this information is stored? Then I can have a script push that setting into the user's profile on first login.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lbaradat; 2024-04-19, 11:52 AM.
  • lbaradat
    • Apr 2024

Well, it seems to not be saved in OpenVPN itself at all. Checking the box seems to add an OpenVPN string to the Registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run.

So I tried adding
    Code:
    reg delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v OpenVPN-GUI /f
    to a batch file that runs on first signin, but OpenVPN still insists on running on logon.

Comment

• lbaradat
      • Apr 2024

I've managed the next best thing. For whatever reason, OpenVPN insists on running automatically on users' first login. However, by adding these two lines to the end of a .vbs file that pushes your name and initials into Office (so it runs a little later than my other run-at-first-login scripts, I got it to turn off Launch on User Logon, so on subsequent signins the program won't start automatically.

set objShell = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
      objShell.RegDelete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ Curr entVersion\Run\OpenVPN-GUI"

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎